Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Biking to DC

Day 374:

Ride to the Wall. At first the kids thought I was talking about the Wall at Wings ETC., where if you dare scarf down 16 of the hottest wings on the planet without so much as a dribble from the water glass, you get a snapshot of the 'before the wings reach your lower intestinal tract' picture to be forever immortalized on the wall of Wings ETC.; oh yeah,.. plus you get to scribble out a cool quote on the bottom of the Polaroid,.. something like: Like Living on the Sun.

Anyway, once I got the kids straightened around between hot wings and a motorcycle ride that concludes in Washington DC at the Veterans Memorials, we were good to go. The ride was an incredible experience that I wouldn't have missed for anything.

The memorials that we got to see made the thousand of miles all worth the time in the seat. From the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to Arlington Cemetery, it was one couple that we met while catching a bite to eat at lunch that will more than likely stick in my mind.
"Are you a veteran?" she asked with a gentle smile on her face.

"Yes I am," I was wearing my Air Force shirt, just in case the next question was 'What branch of service were you in'.

"Well, I want to thank you and give you a token of our appreciation," as her husband stood in the background, she reached out to shake my hand and handed me a little box.

Inside was a small ornament of a red, white, and blue star and a letter which expressed further her and her husbands appreciation for veterans. The thanks was enough, but the letter also went on to say that it was their mission to shake hands and personally thank as many veterans as they could. All I can say is "Wow! That's a terrific and heartfelt mission."

Of course, in the middle of the patriotic atmosphere, you did have bikers. And with that,... I have to conclude with a picture to capture it all. A biker and his best friend.

6 comments:

b said...

Dave --- Looks like a fantastic trip!
b.

Mr. David Kelly said...

b. - Now that I know how to transport Mojo, I think it might be 'Big Dog in DC time.' Of course, I don't know if he's smart enough to stay in the trailer. Could be 'Big Dog on highway time.'

Anonymous said...

Silver!

I got silver because dad you don't count. Well nice pictures I love the one with the dog.


Hannah

Mr. David Kelly said...

Hannah - I count,.. check your birth certificate.

Anonymous said...

So, does that mean I get bronze? I have to say it makes me smile to see pictures and know that you had a great time. I couldn't help but be humbled while there, and to be there for such a day, would be incredible. As the woman said Dave, thanks. For everything.

Love,
Shanna

Anonymous said...

Of course you get bronze because it's my dad's blog so ya.

Summer is here!!!!!!!!!


Hannah Kelly