Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Thursday, March 06, 2008

The News is Out

Day 286:

Greetings and blessings - the wonderful news is spreading through the Midwest and beyond, prayers have been answered and Danielle is Cancer free!

We received the news this morning via email, Carepage, and phone calls,... "..inflammation needs to be further investigated through the Infectious Disease doctors." When you know it's NOT cancer, you can handle anything.

Keep the family and Danielle's condition in your prayers. We'll keep you updated.



Thursday, heard in room 110:
"Did you read the note from my mom?" asks a student after throwing a note on my desk moments earlier.
"No," I replied, not wanting to give it much weight in the grand scheme of my morning where lunch count and attendance take precedence along with reminding kids to tie their shoes.

The child stares at me for what seems like minutes, but was more like 20 seconds (probably deciding if the move to press on is the best choice), "Well, it's from my mom and it's important."
"If it's that important she should have called," I explained, hoping that would throw her further into a state of anxiousness.

"But she didn't call,.... she wrote A NOTE," the girl pleads, just wanting me to unfold the paper and glance in the direction of the text.
"Yes she did,... I see it right here," I explained calmly, glancing down at the paper. "But you see, what you fail to realize is that I've declared Thursday a 'no note' day. Therefore, I won't be reading it today," I explain my bizarre reason for personal pleasure. It's like fishing,... once you have them on the hook you want to make a sport of it before reeling 'em in.

"Since when do you have a 'no note' day?" her posture shifts to a more authoritative stance, as if she had me on a technicality.
"Since I typed it in my 'Friday Take Home Note' on Tuesday, but yet won't be released until Friday, but is still in effect for this Thursday since last Thursday was a day before Leap Day and all," it seemed like a good response. (note to self to write up new policy for Friday Take Home Note)

"What????? Ohhhh,.... you're being difficult! Just forget it!" The little girl turns and walks away towards her friends, seeking reassurance that I've lost it.
"And so Thursday begins! Now who's up for Fish Nuggets for lunch?"

9 comments:

Mr. David Kelly said...

All right! I totally get what your saying about the student and the notes. It was like I was right there experiencing it.

Anonymous said...

What AWESOME news about Danielle. We read your blog and then quieted our hearts for a moment of prayer. PRAISE GOD!!

Dave's Mom & Dad
Hannah's Grandma & Grandpa

P.S. Dave, on the "note" issue . . . don't torment your students like that!!! Dad says . . . just remember what goes around, comes around. LOL

Love,
Mom & Dad

Mr. David Kelly said...

It's not considered torture according to the Geneva Convention.

Anonymous said...

Nope. Not torture. Just self-growth. If Dave doesn't force them to grow as people, who will? Way to be a teacher! But, realize that you're going to have to give thier graduation speech someday. All the toturing teachers have to. Isn't that ironic?

From the midwest:
9:45 am: Mr. Chick to me: "Shanna, you need to go to the activities office. You're in trouble. Again. Sheesh." I know, I should really work on that. ;-)
9:50 am: A sweet girl named Danielle to me, on the phone: "SHANNA!!! It's not cancer! *Insert WAHOOO, and happy happy, joyous dance here, and a few laughs from around the room*" (I'm so totally not kidding. I can't make this up.)
9:55am: Shanna to Danielle after much conversation: "So, thanks for getting me out of class for this. You just made my year. Love you."

Oh, this day could not possibly be anymore FANTASTIC! I cannot wipe this smile off my face. It just won't go, and I'm ok with that.

Love you Kelly bunch!

Love,
Shanna

b said...

What an awesome day in the Lord! Dave's busy making students think, Kim's playing volleyball vs. Students, Danielle doesn't have cancer, Shanna got out of class, Sam makes a mean cheerleader ... maybe he should give up basketball, as his team was beat by a bunch of old men, and Hannah looked really cute in the cheerleading uniform. Phew.

Goodnight. Praise God for another day.
b.

Anonymous said...

Dave-
I'm so glad to see that you continue to mess with your students.
Ashley & Kelsey would not be the well adjusted students that they are had they not experienced your
torment. ;)
Annette

Mr. David Kelly said...

I thought for sure that one of them would have needed counseling by the time I was done. My hats off to you though for teaching them the difference between reality and Mr. Kelly's Class.

Anonymous said...

I need To read your blog more...


LOLZ :D

Mr. David Kelly said...

Phill with 2 L's,

I'm so confused. I don't text so I have no concept of LOLZ :D,... but for fun let's assume it means, "Go Mr. Kelly-Dude, YOU ROCK!"