Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Monday, April 28, 2008

That There's English

There's comparative, superlative, and then there's the 'huh?'.

I'm on a second week of teaching comparing adjectives to the kids - it's like getting milk from a goat (it may seem easy from a distance, but when you try and do it yourself, you realize that some things are better left alone). I don't remember ever learning comparative and superlative in school when I was growing up, but I do know which words sound best and which don't. As Sam and I joked one time while looking over his grades, "These ain't not half bad."

Today was like any other Monday. By that I mean I retaught everything from last week,... starting with, "Hello, I'm Mr. Kelly. I'll be your teacher this year." Okay, so maybe it's not to that extreme every Monday.

We began our grammar lesson by reviewing the comparative / superlative comparisons that can only be commonly known by contestants on 'I'm Smarter Than A Fifth Grader,' and a student teacher, majoring in English, who likes to go around telling everyone she knows the difference between comparative and superlative in hopes of landing a job (either that, or she's waiting to hear back from 'I'm Smarter Than A Fifth Grader' in hopes of winning a million dollars and not needing a job after all).

"When using the words more / most we use the comparative of more when talking about two subjects. We use most when we compare more than two." I proceed by going through a few examples on the overhead. Feeling that I've conquered the more / most lesson, I readied myself to test my expert tutelage.

Confidently I ask a student to use a comparative adjective in the following sentence: 'The artist had __________ paintings than his friend.'

The student ever so hesitantly replies with,... "morest". 'The artist had morest paintings than his friend.'

There you have it. My job is complete! I'm off to find a goat to milk.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh...priceless stories from the classroom. I love your stories. In our class, we are building a farm. Tomorrow students will learn about goats. I hope this year each student remembers that a goat can be milked. Unfortunately, last year one of my students thought it was sheep. I expressed that you really wouldn't want to drink anything from a sheep. Keep up the expert teaching-it will pay off!
Melissa R.

GOLD!

Anonymous said...

Silver!!!!!!!!


Finally I got silver I got gold once . Hey dad I love hearing about stories of your class. Love you Dad.


Hannah

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha.

Not smarter than a 5th grader. Have you seen what it does to a person's voice?

Just watch the DVD again.

My answer would have been more wronger than mine, so we're ok.

Oh, Mondays.

Love,
Shanna

Anonymous said...

I think that was a wronger Monday moment. Sheesh.

I meant: "My answer would have been more wronger than his, so we're ok..."

Bronze!

Mr. David Kelly said...

Shanna - I think that between the two of you,.. you could have had the bestest answer for the year!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that you know the difference between a goat and a sheep....and which one can be milked. Our "city" friend's classroom has no chance. I'm sure I can teach much more gooder than most! Top that!

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Dave-
Your stories make me laugh!!!
I miss being in the classroom.
Annette

Mr. David Kelly said...

Annette - Let's give that IQ a run for it's money. I have the extra desk if you have the time.