Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Friday, January 11, 2008

Harley is the Best Medicine

"Mr. Keeeelllly! There's a boy who fell over there!" a little bundle of a kid proclaimed as she pointed at a group that had gathered around the boy who laid on the ground, as if waiting for the chalk outline.

Great,..two minutes before the recess bell rings and this happens - don't they realize that it's Friday (and the fact that I don't carry a fanny pack with medical supplies).

"Hurry!" the little girl insisted as she ran ahead of me, arm swirling in a windmill motion (which I suppose in reflection, was meant to make me go faster, but didn't), to announce to the others that an adult would immediately be on the scene.

As I moved in for a closer look, I spotted our new first grade teacher already there (with fanny pack), bent down, and talking to the boy. Apparently he had bonked his head into the wood chips on the ground from a staggering height of 3 feet (which in kid height that's like 6 feet for an adult). "What do you suggest we do?" questioned the new teacher. Why is she asking me? She's the one with the fanny pack and stuff. I just wondered over here because the little girl wouldn't leave me alone.

It was then that I took a look at the young boy laying motionless (except for his eyes darting around at the various faces that were staring at him). Hey, that's a Harley-Guy's kid. With the rugged assurance of a biker I looked at him and said, "Get,... Up," probably the two most profound words I had said yet today.

The boy stood up, took a few steps, and began to tell me about his head hurting. Unfortunately for him, I was more interested in his dad's bike and thus, directed the conversation away from his bumps and aches. It was like a miracle happened. As soon as we began to talk Harley, his painful look vanished and a smile replaced the grimace.

We wrapped up our talk, as the bell sounded, with, "I'll let your teacher know that you hit your head,...and if you feel sick or dizzy, you need to go to the office."

"Mr. Keeeelllly! The new boy hurt his ankle on the soccer field and can't move!"
I hope his dad has a Harley.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOLD!!!!

Don't ya just love recess duty??!!

Annette

Anonymous said...

Yes-Silver!

One injury during recess duty: 76 cents for a band-aid.

Two injuries during recess duty: $3.00 for an icepack.

More than two injuries during recess duty: NO! NOT PRICELESS: it just must be Friday.

Loved how you handled the situation! I hope your first week back was smooth sailing! Was the other child a Harley boy?

Melissa R.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA...did I mention that I miss you?

And, being a new Harley fan, Harley's fix EVERYTHING! Just ask me, I've actually taken a ride on one. :-)

Love,
Shanna

PS: Hi Kellys!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA...did I mention that I miss you?

And, being a new Harley fan, Harley's fix EVERYTHING! Just ask me, I've actually taken a ride on one. :-)

Love,
Shanna

PS: Hi Kellys!

Anonymous said...

Oh...forgot!

BRONZE!!!

That is all.

Love,
Shanna

b said...

Awesome ... Dave's blogging again!
b.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your game last night. Too bad your friend wasn't as successful. He was so depressed last night. I think he needs another hobby like maybe a Harley!!!! You know how I feel about that. B&G

Mr. David Kelly said...

B&G: I would be happy to offer up some free lesson on balancing whenever he does get that Harley!

Anonymous said...

What happens to the kids who have no Harley parents? I say the new teacher handles all others! :)
You get recess duty? I'm cracking up on the inside.
Enjoy!
How's Hannah doing?

Love & Prayers,
Lis