Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Farm






Just returned from spending a terrific afternoon visiting with Bob and Lois (see page 210 in Time Out) in Waltham. Along with the Melbourne size steaks and the iced beer, which is always a must when grilling, we got the chance to visit 'the farm' that I hear Bob talk about.


Pictured: Dan, Bob, Max, Hannah, Lois, and Dave (photographer: Kim)




(ring, ring) "Hey Bob! What have you been up to?"
"Working on the farm."

(ring, ring) "Hey Bob! What's going on?"
"Not much. Just getting ready to head back to the farm."

(ring, ring) "Hey Bob! What's happenin' eh?"
"Just been at the farm working. Gonna grab a bite and head back."

Bob and Lois live in the town of Waltham, but in the counrty-side lies 'the farm' that Bob seems to always be going to, coming from, or returning to. "When are we going to the farm?" Max didn't take much time after dinner (aka lunch) before wanting to make his way to the farm.

Arriving at the farm, Bob, Dan (their son), and I made our way through a number of buildings before the kids, Kim, and Lois got there. Turns out the farm was a whopping 1/2 mile away,.. maybe.

"Where are the animals?!" came Max's voice from behind us.

Bob had told us that they had pigs but that they were at a different location. The farm we were at had most of the equipment they use for the fields. So we got to see semi-trucks, tractors, planters, and other equipment - like motorcycles! For Max, a farm meant chickens, cows, rabbits, pigs, sheep, and a spider that weaves words into a corner post web. He quickly got past his disappointment of the missing livestock when he spotted the tractors and semi-trucks. It reminded me a bit of years gone by when we would take the kids to the Berrien County Youth Fair and they would RUN from tractor to tractor, climbing on each and every seat to test out the steering wheel and gadgets on them. As soon as the seat was warmed, it was off to the next one. Can't even count how many times we've had someone walk up to us to remind us that the rides were in another part of the fair grounds.

The thing I like most about being on 'the farm', aside from seeing the motorcycles, was the opportunity to ask Bob questions. Just learning about the planting equipment was fascinating,... making me a true farm geek. It gave me a great deal of appreciation for all the things they have to continually maintain and prepare for on a farm, not to mention the actual field work.


After the tour, I had the chance to talk with Bob's dad, Bill. He told me one story that I won't soon forget. Bill is a long time biker who could fill a book of his various adventures in a long afternoon. "I love riding," he leaned in to tell me, with a glint in his eye and a smile that could only be compared to that of the smile found on a child's face on Christmas morning. "I use to milk cow long ago and every night, round the time I was getting to the last cow, I could hear my friend's bike coming in the drive," he continued the story as his eyes drifted away from me, as if he could just picture that very moment in time right in front of him. I was hanging on the next word. "You see, the barn was set so you could look right out the end of the barn door on to the drive. I knew it was time to ride every time I got near the last cow," he told me as if it were a treat to a job well-done. "Even if my friend hadn't shown up on time, I knew he was coming. We would always head to some nearby town, go to a carnival, walk around a bit, and then ride some more," Bill had that biker smile. That kind of smile that can't be wiped away.

His story summed up riding for me - it's a joy and experience that you carry with you. We went on to talk a bit more about riding and some of his adventures before I had to leave to head back to Rochester.

When in Waltham on a bike ride, be sure to keep an eye out for Bill - he'll be the one grabbing his helmet and trying to catch up to you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This makes me smile

Dawn said...

Come fall, I'll hook you up w/ some plow boys (aka my brothers). The kids can ride along while they combine...

b said...

I'm still waiting for my ride ...

Looks like life is good!

Love you!
b.