Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stone Aged

If you never had the pleasure of trying to pass a kidney stone while in the presence of 27 nine and ten year old kids...than you're just not experiencing life to the fullest.

About a half a week had passed and the ever present pain across one side of my lower back had been looming.  I had one prior stone to this one and like falling off my bike, I remembered well the sensation of pain.  

"All right, everyone needs to take their seat because we have a lot to,...." it was at this point, out of habit, that I flicked my pen in the air, typically catching it on its way back to earth; only I missed.  I stopped mid sentence as I stared at my pen a whopping two and half feet out reach in front of me, laying on the ground.  

Typically I would reach down with minimal effort (something in the form of a reverse sit up so I counted it as exercise whenever I would miss the flying pen) and snatch up the pen to attempt the flick again. It was my own version of a mulligan.  This day, this past week, was different. With the surging pain across my back, the pen might as well fallen into the Grand Canyon.  

"What's a matter Mr. Kelly,"  came a little voice from the girl sitting near the front of the room.  Ohhhh, she cares about me and notices my pain.  "are you too old to bend down and pick the pen up?"  That of course, got a number of chuckles from the students at large.  

Old man jokes?  I've got sharpened crystal clawing it's way through my lower back towards my bladder and they're making old man comments.  Kids, how about we play a little game called, "Does it hurt" and we can compare pain.

Not quite sure which pained me more, the stone or the old man jokes at my expense - pretty positive it was the stone.  

I managed to get through the rest of the week, moving slower with each hour of the day, but by the weekend I was able to dilute the stone situation  and was back to normal by Monday.  



4 comments:

Unknown said...

ohohohohoh! Thats got to hurt. I got a wood sliver under my fingernail, that hurts. It's a nice day to ride the bike, that hurts. I'm glad you were able to dilute the crystal yourself.

Anonymous said...

Mom's got expertise in the area. Life, is always an adventure when it's us. :-)

Glad there's no more shards of glass impending.

Love to the Kelly crew. :-)

Anonymous said...

Dave
So sorry to hear about your serious health problems. Hope this is not reverse hereditary because your brother had the same thing and I do not want to go through anything like that.

You should have told your mother about this, as she is now walking around the house worrying. If this ever happens again, please be sure to let your mother know as she would like to have sympathy pains for you.

Hope this is the last of the kidney stones in our family.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Here's some advice that I received from a Dr. years ago when I had a bad kidney infection. Drink beer! I don't know if he was kidding or not ( I was about 14 at the time ) he said it makes you pee alot, so I thought that I might as well take his advice. I think that with a fire going would double the efectiveness of the above mentioned medication!!