Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tree-Mendous Miracle

Day 212:

It was a Christmas miracle!

As promised, Sunday was the tree hunt. We bundled up (except for Sam because he's a teenager and knows better - "I don't need gloves. I don't get cold."), grabbed the camera - it's the only thing that stops the debate over which tree to get ("Everyone look this way and smiiiile."), and we headed off for the tree ("I'm hungry. When can we eat?").

Ahhhh, the fresh smell of tree as we made our way from the farm house to the field of Christmas trees. It's like one big car deodorizer. The easy part was finding our section - I really couldn't tell what that is because I have know idea what kind of tree it is that we always get. Kinda like the same kind of knowledge I have when it comes to storage in our house. I know the general location of things, but every bucket/bin looks the same to me - so I defer to Kim.

The tough part of picking the tree is the agreement. Unlike the Mayflower Compact, I'm not willing to stick it out until a settlement is reached. I'm all for the quick and easy majority rules or what I like to call,... dad rules.

"Sam, start cutting the tree down,... my knees are killing me. And the ground looks really really cold." Sam, being the one with sharpened saw hits the ground like a man on a mission. Seconds later,... "My hands are getting cold. Here Max, you try it."

(Cut to the tree at home - no pun intended).....
"Is the tree crooked?" Kim eyes the tree from various positions in the living room as the tree stands solo.
Since we have the tree drilled from the bottom, they set it in a stand at the farm and eye up the vertical correctness before drilling. Apparently the teenager who was working that station is vertically correctedness challenged - I noticed he wasn't wearing gloves either,..hmmmmmm.

As the tree decoration began to go up, the family settled in for a family movie,..which typically means I end up falling asleep. Here's the miracle - I closed my eyes for a second. When I opened them, the tree was lit up in all it's Christmas glory! It's truly a Christmas full of miracles.

Peace and Prayers

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We, too, but up our tree this weekend. Two people on a ladder, pushing the box down from the rafters in the garage; carrying it inside the house; and getting the pieces. I work on "fluffing" the tree, while Don "supervises". Football games playing in the background and children asking, "When are you gonna be done?" Don closes his eyes (for a second) and the tree was decorated. Now, let's get the train track and Polar Express train set-up around the tree. Okay, my turn to close my eyes while Don and the boys add a "manly" touch to the Christmas tree area. I'm glad you had this experience together.
Melissa

P.S.: My tree is straight.

P.S.S.: Gold medal, baby!!!

b said...

My tree is straight, and fake.

I love the hunt part.

b.

b said...

My tree is straight, and fake.

I love the hunt part.

b.

b said...

My tree is straight, and fake.

I love the hunt part.

b.

Anonymous said...

Well, then...since b. totally doesn't get to have silver, and bronze. ;-) Bronze for me!

We, too put up the tree this weekend. Really, what I should say is that Dad put the tree in the stand, while I coached. And, then, Mom decorated. Then, I do as we always do, and Dad lifted me to put the star on top. Well, not really, but I did recommend it.

So...we, being the keen people that we are, pushed the tree back, and then, everyone did the: "if we tilt our head like this...It looks ok."

Then, I, being the CDBG that I am, headed into my bedroom, and grabbed two heel lifts. I knew those prosthetic leg lifts would come in handy some day.

Not even kidding. It's not a Christmas miracle until you lift your Christmas tree with something from the Mayo Clinic.

Just as they blessed us through health, with a big help from God, they are in our home everyday.

Love,
Shanna

Anonymous said...

Shanna-
INGENIOUS!!! It truly is a miracle to use something from your time fighting cancer to help create a symbol of Christmas.
Melissa R.

Anonymous said...

Heres a tip...GET A FAKE TREE!...It's very simple, they last longer and they hold heavier ornaments. then when Christmas is over, you just throw the tree down the steps and gather up all the pieces. And you can get them with the lights already strung on. If you ask me that's the best part...
"It's one thing to get the lights on. It's another to get 'em off."
Ok my fingers are cramping. See you in school.

-Phill
(w/ 2 l's)

b said...

Sorry guys ... didn't mean to post so many times. My button must've gotten stuck.

OH Well!!!
b.

Anonymous said...

Bredeweg Acres?? That's where we got our tree this weekend...luckily, for us, we had an adult drilling our tree, so ours is straight! This is after we had the debate about whether it was time to go for the artificial tree this year...that was a "no go" from the kids!

Sue B

Anonymous said...

Artificial baby!!!
Cleaning up dog & cat hair is enough. Don't want to add pine needles too ('cause who has time to keep the tree sufficiently watered??).
I do have to say though, even my artificial tree could have used one of Shanna's lifts.
Now if only Santa could get some shopping done...
Annette