Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Shhhh, I'm Trying to Read, Sort of

Day 213:

Ahhhhh, silent reading. It's the "teachers dream section" on the list of things to do for the day.

Silent reading is a time, (uh, hold on)..... "You need to find a place to sit and stay put."

There, now as I was saying,...it's a time for me to sit down, collect my thoughts, and blog a li (excuse me),...... "Seriously. Silent reading is not silent staring. You need to have a book with more than just pictures. What? No, numbers at the bottom of the page do not count as reading."

As I was saying, it's a time to relax and blog a little. I love it whe (just a minute),... "Your desk won't shut all the way? Well, why are you trying to shut your desk now anyway, you were just reading a second ago in the corner? We'll fix it during lunch, okay."

Blogging can be a terrific chance to step back from the day to day stuff and just jot down (oh for Petesake),.... "Why are you just staring at me?.........Huh? No, lunch time isn't for another 15 minutes!....... It doesn't matter that the other class just walked by,...they're not going to lunch right now."

I should write a book and call it, (what the heck),..."Do you realize that your book is upside down?...Oh, you're challenging yourself? Well that's just terrific - we can't seem to get our shoes tied correctly, but when it comes to your reading development you are reaching way beyond the 4th grade level."

It's sometimes difficult to complete a thought when you're the one person in the room that everyone goes to for guid...., (uno momento) "Yes, yes. I know it's almost lunch time. No, I'm not torturing you. We still have ten minutes to get down to the cafeteria and the last time I clocked it, it's about a 30 second walk. What's that? No, we won't have anymore silent reading today - I'm done."

14 comments:

b said...

Gold Metal

No silent reading here in Mrs. K's class either. Just alot of spaghetti mouths...

Have a great day everyone. Get in a little silent reading time for yourself too!

b.

Anonymous said...

SILVER!!!
Funny you should mention silent reading....it was on the way to school this morning that Sarah yells out "Darn it!". I reply, "What'd you forget?" She says, "My silent reading book. Oh, I'll just borrow one from someone...again". It occurs to me that this is probably why she never finishes a book!
Annette

Mr. David Kelly said...

The goal of silent reading is missed when you keep switching books - unless she's covering a little Bloom County.

Bronze!

Anonymous said...

I veto Dave...so BRONZE! ;-)

HAHAHAHAHA Dave. The life of you. ;-) It makes me laugh. That's worth it right?

If it helps, when they get to be high school seniors, they'll want silent reading time, and milk break, and now that I think about it...nap time. And, there won't be any time to do it.

In fact, there's hardly time to eat. And, that's no fun. Just ask the 4th graders.

Love,
Shanna

Anonymous said...

Dave-
What a great blog! It couldn't have been said better!
Melissa R.

Anonymous said...

Shanna-
You make me laugh. I also have a daughter who is a senior in high school, and what you say is soooo true!

Dave-
I thought the goal of silent reading was so the teacher could get his blog done!?!

Annette

Anonymous said...

Another well written blog Dave. You really need to think seriously about writing a book or two.

Love,
Dad & Mom K.

Anonymous said...

But Dave, keep it to five hundred words, and we'll make money off the sequels. ;-)

Woah...Deja Vu.

Love,
Shanna

Mr. David Kelly said...

I don't think I'm capable of more than 100 words - so,..wahoo we're rich!

Anonymous said...

OSN. I think so.

Anonymous said...

HEY!!!!!

You Used The "The Book Is Upside Down" Idea From Last Year... You Can't Just Blog Everything I Have Done In Years Past!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Have you been spying in my classroom? It's interesting how some things never change, no matter the grade.

Suzie

Mr. David Kelly said...

Suzie - you mean they don't mature and change a little? I thought I fixed all the problems before they got to you.

Anonymous said...

I agree with many points. But in some areas, I feel we need to be more aggressive. Just my opinion. Love ya. wedding dresses with lace sleeves Louboutin Shoes pumps christian louboutin. Bridesmaid Dresses