Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Traffic Termoil

I love the elderly. I actually hope to be one myself ,... someday (although I believe it's who you ask what elderly means, because my students would definitely say that I'm there already). However,... I do have a beef with the elderly.

Over the course of the past week, I've put in my share of time out and about and around the various shopping venues. I can't really say at this point what seems worse: driving to and around the stores or actually being in the stores and becoming challenged with the lack of room in which to maneuver my 4 foot cart in a 3 foot isle packed with others doing the same. Regardless of which one is the worse of evils, I'm beefing today about the first issue ... the driving!

I'm sitting at a four way stop and I'm next to go once the car directly across from me makes it through the intersection. My anticipation of being next builds with each full rotation of the car wheels. I slowly begin my slow creep forward in order to make the appropriate left hand turn when THIS CAR with a headless driver begins it's traffic movement directly following the car I was waiting on! I quickly look for a tow rope because this could be the only reasonable explanation for the premature crossing. Finding no said rope or chain, my gaze finds it's way to the driver seat in order for me to properly give the societal 'Hey, what gives?' look, but all I see are knuckles. That's right, knuckles,... clutching the wheel (10 and 2) and a fluff of gray hair. "Well, this can't be safe." The little lady had her eyes fixed directly on the car in front of her and damn the rules of the road, if she's in motion (slow motion), then others must respect her right of way and just adapt. This can't be correct though? Aren't their motor vehicle personnel who would stop such a thing? Shouldn't a license be given to those who can abide by universal common law rules of the road and not the rules of age? Where are the family members of this woman and why aren't they out looking for her? Perhaps even giving her tips on things such as, when to proceed through a four way stop.

Moments following the four-way debacle, I'm heading down a four lane road fixed between two major shopping stores. The chance of getting from one side to the other was near impossible with the traffic flowing in all four lanes. Yet, you know where this is heading? Damn the rules of the road, there's shopping to be had! All of a sudden, where even an experienced gamer in Frogger would have not dared leaped, there goes another elderly driver making the dash (no,.. a slow crawl) across all four lanes. Drivers on both sides begin hitting their brakes in hopes of avoiding a collision and all the probable insurance mess to follow. Like the parting of the Red Sea, cars came to a halt allowing the safe passage of this unlawful elderly speed racer. You have to be kidding? Another one? What is happening on our roadways?

Finally we had made our destination to the next store of isle horrors. As we began our pass in front of the store's entrance we came to our customary stop in order to let the pedestrians make the crossing in safety. As the group passed, there remained a lone straggler shuffling her way one line crossing at a time. With her pace at best equivalent to Tortuga, we waited and watched as she took her final step up onto the sidewalk. I kept scanning the lot, thinking there had to be someone with her, someone locking up the car or forgot something in the car and had to retrieve it. Nothing. No one.

"What do you think her reaction time is like in a car when it comes to making those quick decisions?" Kim said allowed.

"Not good, I would imagine," I replied as we found a parking spot. "Someone is going to end up in a serious accident at some point."

I've heard my parents talk about driving and the elderly before. I even understand the independence you take away from someone when they can't drive. Sam, our 15 year old, knows the lack of independence, but at what point do we stop the insanity of this blind, wishful driving? I had a thought the other day (as impractical as it may be) - beefed up bumper cars created for the elderly. Perhaps even separate driving lanes, similar to the ones they have for bicycles. With our society growing older, there will be more drivers out there who go at their own pace and their own rules.

I'm curious to know what the feelings and thoughts of others are. It's not a new issue, but it's one that's never been solved really.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to what we experience in Florida all day long. I prefer driving at night because most of these people will stay home then. The go 20 mph maximum and they never signal.
Happy New Year!
Barb

Anonymous said...

Heya im fresh here. I hit upon this forum I find It amply accommodating and it's helped me out alot. I hope to contribute & guide other people like it has helped me.

Cheers, See You Around.

Anonymous said...

Hiya i am fresh here, I came upon this message board I find It truly accessible & it's helped me loads. I should be able to contribute & assist others like it has helped me.

Cheers, See Ya Around

Anonymous said...

Hello i'm fresh to this. I hit upon this forum I find It extremely accommodating and its helped me out a lot. I hope to contribute & support other users like it has helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See Ya Later.

Anonymous said...

Whats's Up im fresh here, I hit upon this chat board I have found It extremely accessible and it has helped me so much. I hope to give something back and guide other users like it has helped me.

Thanks, See Ya Later

Anonymous said...

Sup im new to this, I came upon this board I find It amply helpful and its helped me out so much. I hope to give something back and aid other users like it has helped me.

Cheers, See You Later.

Anonymous said...

Aloha i am new on here. I hit upon this board I find It incredibly helpful and it has helped me loads. I hope to give something back and support others like its helped me.

Cheers, See Ya About.

Anonymous said...

Heya i am fresh on here. I stumbled upon this forum I have found It quite useful & it has helped me out alot. I hope to give something back and support others like it has helped me.

Cheers, Catch You Later.

Anonymous said...

What's Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this forum I find It incredibly accommodating & it's helped me tons. I should be able to contribute and guide others like it has helped me.

Cheers, See You Later