Signed Copies for Sale. Read information on left side panel below.

Signed Copies for Sale.  Read information on left side panel below.
For further details email us at Hannahk2021@gmail.com

Monday, September 14, 2009

When All You Have Are Twin Sheets - Make 'Em Work

"So can we work with a partner?" came the voice from the back.

I had just finished explaining the difference between math 'group' work (which had been done earlier in the day) and 'independent' work (which was about to happen). Typically giving directions in great length and detail the first week or so: "In math you will have 'group' work and 'independent' work," I had begun laying out the dynamics of Everyday Math that would be taking place ... everyday. "Group work is done with your group. It begins with the letter 'G' as in 'Gosh, I get to work with others!" I went on to cover independent, "Independent work is done on your own,.. as in, I have to do it all by myself."

"You've already completed your group work for today, so that leaves the independent assignment on page three," I gestured toward the white board behind me which outlined the days schedule and assignments covered that day. No,.. I'm no Vanna White, but I could take the place of Pat Sajack if given the right dollar amount as an incentive.

"Any questions," I scanned the room looking for lost souls in search of a way out. "Fantastic! You may get started," seeing no hands shoot up, I proceeded to close my books, grab my notes, and proceeded to prepare for the next lesson.

"So can we?" the voice asked again as if my non-reply might be an indication of the go-ahead.

The beginning of each year is a lot like trying to fit twin sheets on a queen bed. They look like they should fit, so you stretch and pull as hard as you can, only to find out, after exhaustion has set in, that no matter what further effort you put forth,... there's no possible way things are going to work just the way you had hoped. Yet, you're stuck with twin sheets non-the-less.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again...homerun with the words!
MR

Anonymous said...

3a, for sure. Weird things happen to you! Wedding Dress Shops, Louboutin Shoes christian louboutin fur boots. Lace Wedding Dresses